The Museumsinsel Hombroich (Museum Island Hombroich) in Neuss, Germany, is both a park and a museum combining architecture, art and nature over 62 acres of meadowland. The park includes the “Kirkeby-Feld” and the “Raketenstation” (“rocket station”), a disused NATO missile base.
The inception of the Museumsinsel Hombroich occurred in 1982 when real estate agent and art collector Karl Heinrich Müller purchased Rosa Haus, an overgrown industrialist’s villa with garden, which was built in 1816. Müller’s intention was to support local artists and architects. Landscape architect Bernhard Korte, who was commissioned to redesign the park, restored the old gardens and created minimalist landscapes. From 1982 to 1994 sculptor Erwin Heerich created eleven exhibition pavilions, which Müller called “chapels in the landscape”.
A beautiful space and well worth the visit!